ABOUT THE DIRECTOR/CEO, GMYT FASHION ACADEMY
( PRINCESS KELECHI OGHENE )
PRINCESS KELECHI OGHENE is the Executive Director OF GMYT FASHION ACADEMY, a foremost fashion institution well-known for its giant strides in the fashion industry evidenced by the training and creation of new generation fashion entrepreneurs.
GMYT Fashion Academy under the able leadership and guidance of its unrelenting Executive Director, PRINCESS KELECHI OGHENE has graduated over 500 women skilled in couture, dressmaking and fashion design. These graduates have made significant strides in the fashion scene and have created their respective brands and even founded fashion academies some of which include: ALYPES EMPIRE, NIFFERS CREATION, CASA DEL AMO, HOUSE OF VEE and so much more.
PRINCESS KELECHI OGHENE is also a philanthropist per excellence and her commitment towards the empowerment of women emboldened her to found and indeed setup the GMYT FOUNDATION, a non-profit organization committed to the training and empowerment of women through fashion. She is currently the President of the GMYT FOUNDATION, which in active collaboration with the GMYT FASHION ACADEMY, has been able to conduct free entrepreneurial sessions, seminars and workshops for women and has trained over 200 women and countless youths on scholarships, she has single-handedly empowered 200 women with an Industrial Machine each through her proclaimed Initiative, GMYT Foundation.
In keeping with her commitment to eradicate poverty by training and empowering women with the necessary skill-set to thrive and become financially independent, PRINCESS KELECHI OGHENE has resolved to increase the number of beneficiaries of the 2019 GMYT FOUNDATION Entrepreneurial programme and has indeed commenced training of over 500 women that aspire to be Fashion designers. The beneficiaries of this scheme will be trained in various aspects of fashion and business knowledge required to
manage and sustain also their respective fashion businesses.
It is important to state that most of the beneficiaries of this scheme are availed the rare privilege of being trained at the GMYT Fashion Academy by the best and highly skilled Fashion Instructors in the Academy. Most of these beneficiaries during the course of their training are also provided with accommodation at no extra cost by the GMYT Fashion Academy in order to ease the resultant accommodation challenges often faced in Lagos.
PRINCESS KELECHI OGHENE is an embodiment of fashion and philanthropy. Her avid love for fashion coupled with her passion for humanity propelled her to create the GMYT AFRICAN HUMANITARIAN AWARDS& FASHION SHOW, an Award ceremony that recognizes and celebrates individuals that have contributed meaningfully to positive societal transformation and created a huge impact in people’s lives alongside a display of The Best Fashion Designers in Nigeria showcasing breath-taking collections on the runway.
PRINCESS KELECHI OGHENE can best be described as a rare gem, a role model, a typical leader, an entrepreneur per excellence, a goal-getter, a fashion icon, a philanthropist and above all a Godly person. Being a big reader with a strong appetite for learning, she has attended several Workshops, Trainings and has bagged several degrees and qualifications from notable institutions which include the following:
- Executive Degree from LAGOS BUSINESS SCHOOL (OWNER’S MANAGEMENT PROGRAM: OMP24);
- Alumnus of the LONDON SCHOOL OF FASHION;
- Degree in Industrial Relation and Personnel Management (IRPM) from Lagos Sstate University;
- Degree from STC TRAINING CENTRE – DUBAI (UAE) in Human Resources Management Training;
- Degree from MODUS ACADEMY – Dubai (UAE) in Fashion Styling.
In recognition of her notable strides in the fashion industry in Nigeria, she was, on the 19th day of June, 2018, appointed an ADVISORY BOARD MEMBER of the prestigious and highly celebrated Nigeria Entrepreneurs Award [NEA].
Additionally, she is the Recipient of several distinguishing awards some of which include the following:
- ECOWAS DESIGNER OF THE YEAR at the ECOWAS fashion week;
- OUTSTANDING FASHION RECOGNITION AWARD at LAMODE Green October event 2016;
- LEKKI EXPRESS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AWARD 2017;
- NIGERIAN ENTREPRENEURS AWARD FOR MOST ENTERPRISE PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR 2017;
- DESTINATION TOURISM AWARD 2017 for DESTINATION FASHION ICON OF THE YEAR 2017;
- NIGERIAN MODEL AND ACHIEVERS AWARD for MODEL ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR 2018.
- 5th Edition of the International Women’s Day Awards – DISTINGUISHED AFRICAN WOMEN OF IMPACT AWARD 2018;
- D &Ksuomi Humanitarian Award 2018;
- Nigeria British Association Award for Support to the 2018 NBA Fashion Competition;
- TOASTMASTERS AWARDS for Outstanding Contribution towards advancing the club’s educational and leadership goals, 2018;
- NIGERIA ACHIEVER’S AWARDS for NAA FASHION ACADEMY OF THE YEAR
- SM JURY AWARD OF EXCELLENCE 2019
- SYMBOL OF HOPE AWARDS for AFRICAN WOMAN OF IMPACT 2019 and a host of many others.